Main Navigation

Global U Offices

Campus Partner Offices

Global Travel Safety: FAQs


Individuals requiring assistance abroad should contact the area’s emergency services and then the University’s international assistance provider (CISI/Team-Assist) at +1 312 935 1703.

More information on Emergency Support



  • University of Utah International Travel Insurance

    The University of Utah Permanent Travel Safety and Insurance Rule (2018) outlines the travel registration and insurance enrollment requirements for all University-affiliated  travel to international locations.  All University members (faculty, staff and students) are required to enroll in University of Utah Group International Health Insurance Coverage for their dates of international travel.

    University of Utah international insurance coverage is provided by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) and contains (4) principal elements:

    1. CISI Health Insurance for travelers (Accident and Sickness)
    2. Team Assist (AXA) 24/7 Traveler Assistance (Medical, Travel and Technical)
    3. Emergency Medical and Security Evacuation
    4. International Travel Health and Safety Intelligence

    Review the information below for detailed information about each component

    CISI Health Insurance for Travelers (Accident and Sickness)

    University of Utah travelers can review the following documents for common questions regarding insurance policy coverage, benefits, and claims.

    Team Assist (AXA) 24/7 Traveler Assistance (Medical, Travel and Legal)

    University of Utah travelers have 24/7 access to medical, security and travel assistance provided though Team Assist (AXA).  Team Assist representatives can be reached by phone or email at any time in order to provide emergency assistance or support.

    International Insurance Charges/Fees

    • Rates are calculated weekly for the travel up to 3 weeks in length
    • Rates are calculated monthly for travel longer than 21 days
    University of Utah International Insurance Enrollment Charges
    1-Week (1-7 days) $11.30
    2-Week (8-14 days) $22.60
    3-Week (15-21 days) $33.90
    Monthly* $44.19

    *Monthly rate applies for any travel 22 days or longer

    Emergency Medical and Security Evacuations

    Please see Emergencies Abroad.

    CISI Online Portal

    University of Utah traveler enrollment in CISI insurance coverage provides access to an online portal (“myCISI”) through which policy holders are able to quickly access insurance policy tools and support including Policy ID Cards, Consulate Letters, Extended Coverage and Travel Intelligence. All student travelers will receive "myCISI" Portal login information via email after student travel registration and enrollment steps have been completed.

    Dependent Enrollment

    UofU travelers have the ability to enroll dependents (spouses and children) in University insurance coverage after travel registration and enrollment steps have been completed. Dependent enrollment is obtained by completing and submitting a Dependent Enrollment Form. Charges vary depending on the relationship to the primary University traveler.

    Leisure Travel

    University travelers interested in leisure travel are not eligible for insurance through the University.  Travelers seeking international insurance and assistance coverage for personal/leisure travel are encouraged to research providers in the marketplace such as Patriot Travel Medical Insurance or HTH Worldwide Insurance, or use an insurance marketplace search platform such as SquareMouth.

    Extensions of Coverage

    Travelers who are enrolled in University of Utah Group international insurance coverage for dates of University travel are eligible to extend their international insurance coverage up to 1-month before, or 1-month after, the dates of their recognized University travel. Travelers can extend their coverage on their My CISI portal ( or by emailing

    International Insurance Exemptions

    The University of Utah does not currently recognize any exemptions from this policy for UofU faculty, staff or students traveling to international locations.  All University of Utah travelers are required to register their international travel, and enroll in University of Utah International Insurance coverage regardless of any other insurance coverage they may have – including insurance possibly required by providers, foreign institutions or governments (i.e. Germany, Australia, etc.)

  • Enrollment in the University’s Health and Emergency Evacuation Insurance usually happens as part of the UTravel & Reimbursement Services SAP Concur process.

    All students participating in recognized Learning Abroad and Eccles Global programs are automatically registered with the University’s International Travel Registry and enrolled in the Health and Emergency Evacuation Insurance. All participants in these programs will receive confirmation of travel registration and insurance enrollment in the weeks prior to their program start date, and no action is necessary on their part.

    If you are a student traveler not on a sponsored or official University program, please see the question below about registering in the Student Travel Registry.

    If the University employee is not using Travel & Reimbursement / SAP Concur, or didn't receive the automatic email to enroll, they can self-enroll in the Insurance via this link (or this link for those who are traveling to Spain and require a visa).

    All University students are strongly encouraged to maintain their U.S. (domestic) health insurance coverage while abroad in case medical treatment for injuries or illness inside the U.S. is necessary (or desired) during their international travel.

  • According to University Rule R3-030D, University-related International Travel means travel to any country outside the U.S. (including Mexico and Canada) or territory outside the continental U.S., Alaska and Hawaii, including to non-contiguous U.S. locations of American Samoa, Guam, Midway Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Wake Island. If you are traveling to or through these destination(s), then yes, you do need to enroll in the insurance.

  • Yes, according to University Rule R3-030D, regardless of other insurance enrollments or policies held, you must enroll in the University Health and Emergency Evacuation Insurance.

  • Yes, according to University Rule R3-030D, regardless of whether your travel is funded or sponsored by an outside organization, or funded or sponsored by the University, you must enroll in the University Health and Emergency Evacuation Insurance.

  • Yes, University members who register University-related International Travel as described in this rule may seek reimbursement from the University for appropriate travel expenses pursuant to Rule 3-030.

    Charges incurred by members on University-related International Travel for registration and insurance are generally eligible for reimbursement by the University if university funds are being used to support the trip.

    Personal travel, dependent travel, and dependent insurance costs are not eligible for reimbursement by the University.

    Alternative insurance enrollment and coverages (outside of the University Health and Emergency Evacuation Insurance plan) are not reimbursable.

    University-related International Travel that is not registered pursuant to this Rule will be rejected for University reimbursement absent an exception for exigent travel needs or to educate University members to comply with University Rule being given by the cognizant vice president.

  • Travelers who require official University of Utah proof-of-insurance documentation for your time abroad for visa applications or letters are able to access that documentation on the myCISI Portal.

    If you are unable to obtain your visa letter through the CISI Online Portal, please contact the Office of Global Risk for direct assistance.

  • When your insurance enrollment information is emailed to you, you will also receive an invoice/bill. To pay the invoice, you can call CISI at 203 399 5088 and pay through the phone or by emailing CISI.

    You should pay by check or T(ravel) Card, and, in most cases, not by P(urchase) Card.

  • If you aren’t participating on a University sponsored or affiliated study abroad program, but you are:

    • conducting independent research abroad
    • attending and/or presenting at international conference(s);
    • traveling abroad as a member of an ASUU student group or organization
    • participating in internship or service learning opportunities organized or sponsored by a University group or representative

    You shall complete the Student Travel Registry. As part of this process, you will receive an email with instructions to enroll in the University insurance. You can also enroll here.

  • Real-time Medical and Security travel information is available to all University international travelers. On your myCISI Portal you can click the “Security and Assistance Tools”, “Travel Destination Info”, and “Resources & Links” hyperlinks on the left-hand side of the webpage to access these resources.

    The University partners with CISI, AXA, and Crisis24 to provide country-, region-, and area-specific travel destination intelligence. You should also review the Department of State, CDC, and any other relevant intelligence resources.

    Please contact the Global Risk Manager with questions.

  • On your MyCISI portal, on the left side menu, you can click “Claim Information” for instructions and the claim form to fill out and submit, along with all receipts, documentation, invoices, etc.
    submit claim for reimbursement


  • Depending on the type of emergency, University international travelers shall contact the following emergency contacts as appropriate:

    • Local Emergency Numbers (for police, fire, ambulance, etc.) – 911 Abroad Numbers
    • CISI / AXA Team Assist – 312 935 1703 (outside U.S.); 855 327 1411 (toll-free inside U.S.); email:; or contact through the MyCISI Portal / App.
    • On-site (in-country) faculty, staff or partner organization contacts
    • Global Travel & Safety – 24/7 University of Utah Emergency Line: +1 801 585 2677

    CISI / AXA Team Assist is available to provide direct assistance with overseas medical, security, or legal emergencies. You can also contact the U’s Global Risk Manager at

  • For all emergencies, seek help without delay at the nearest medical facility and then, after admittance, open up a case with CISI / AXA Team Assist at any time by contacting +1 312 935 1703.

    For reimbursement purposes, please keep all documentation, receipts, invoices, bills, etc. for a reimbursement request with CISI.

  • If a University member’s medical condition requires an evacuation from their current international location in order to obtain further medical treatment, CISI / AXA Team Assist is available to open a medical file and assist with this process*.  Dependent on CISI's medical review, travelers may be evacuated to the closest location abroad where the necessary medical care can be provided, or back to the U.S.  Contact CISI Team Assist at +1 312 935 1703 in order to obtain more information and direction regarding this process.

    If a University member believes that specific security concerns in their area of travel warrant an evacuation, CISI Team Assist is available to open a security file and assist with this process*.  Contact CISI Team Assist at +1 312 935 1703 for more information.

    *In order for any medical or security-related evacuation costs to be covered by our insurance policy, all approvals and arrangements must be made by CISI / AXA Team Assist in conjunction with the attending physician (for a medical evacuation), or with Crisis24 (for a security evacuation). University members are encouraged to contact CISI / AXA Team Assist as soon as possible to open a medical or security file if assistance is needed.

  • You can contact UPublic Safety / University Police’s 24/7 Communications Center at 801 585 2677 or the Office of Global Engagement’s Global Risk Manager at 801 581 4042 or by email for questions or concerns related to international travel, international insurance, risk management, health, safety, and security issues.

  • The Office of Global Engagement works alongside UTravel Services, Learning Abroad, UPublic Safety, and other campus units to monitor world events and their potential impact on University travelers abroad. When international incidents or emergencies happen, the Office of Global Engagement, and other on- and off-campus partners, reach out to contact travelers, confirm they are safe, and provide information about support and assistance available to them.

    The University has a Global Incident Management Team to respond to international incidents and emergencies and a Global Travel Oversight Committee that is tasked to review international travel and risk management guidelines and policies and review travel to High-Risk Destinations.

    The University works to brief University international travelers on health and safety information, risk mitigation, prevention, and response. If you would like a Pre-Departure Health and Safety Orientation or Training, please contact the Global Risk Manager.

    If you have questions about our risk management, health, safety, and security practices, please reach out to the Global Risk Manager.


  • University of Utah Health’s Travel Clinic is the most comprehensive travel medicine and immunization clinic in the state of Utah. For individuals, small groups, and business travelers, U of U Travel Clinic provides the following services:

    • Immunizations and Travel Medications
      • Appropriate immunizations and travel medications will be recommended based on an individual’s specific destination(s), duration of travel, activities and medical conditions
    • Pre- and Post-Travel Consultations
    • Special Services/Consultations for Groups and Business Travelers

    For additional travel risk management resources, please see our Health and Safety Resources for Travelers page.

  • University Rule R3-030D defines High-Risk Destination(s) as a country or area the Office of Global Engagement determines is at a high, severe, or extreme risk rating based on risk assessment analysis organizations and providers such as DOS Travel Advisories, CDC Travel Health Notices, Riskline, and Crisis24.

    University travelers should be aware that travel to or through High-Risk Destination(s) carries additional health, safety, and security risks and should work to inform themselves of those risks, how to prevent accidents and mitigate situational severity, and what assistance resources and support is available in the destination(s).

    The University recommends that all travelers who are U.S. citizens register their University-related International Travel with the DOS Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (“STEP”), a free service that alerts travelers about important safety concerns in destination(s) and enables the DOS to better assist U.S. citizens traveling abroad in the event of an emergency. The University recommends that non-U.S. citizens contact their home country governments to inquire about additional available registration and support.

  • Because the University’s Health and Emergency Evacuation Insurance only provides health, emergency evacuation coverage, and assistance services for University-related International Travel that is properly registered with the University, the University may not be able to help travelers who fail to register their travel appropriately. Travelers who do not register their travel plans with the University consequently risk personal liability exposure and limited access to assistance.

    The University strongly encourages family members or friends traveling with University-related International Travel participants to enroll as dependents in employee or student coverage if offered by the University or to investigate and enroll in publicly available international insurance coverage.

Have Questions or Need Help?