The Office for Global Engagement (OGE) at the University of Utah is seeking a Manager for Global Risk Management. Reporting to the Chief Global Officer and serving on the leadership team in OGE, the Manager for Global Risk Management proposes, develops, and coordinates policies, procedures and activities that support the safety and well-being of University of Utah students, researchers, faculty and staff traveling abroad for academic experiences or university business. The incumbent also provides global emergency and response services for our international travelers.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced global risk management professional to join a growing team in OGE and lead the international travel health and safety portfolio for the University.
This position is responsible for providing leadership in developing and maintaining procedures to implement the University Of Utah Global Risk Management Plan and International Travel Policy. The Global Risk Manager supervises all aspects of emergency communication and 24/7 emergency response related to university sponsored international travel. Responsibilities also include providing guidance on matters dealing with the health, safety and security of the University’s interests abroad and identifying and promoting best practices in the areas of health, safety and security of University faculty, staff and students engaged globally. This position leads the development, management, promotion, and oversight of a comprehensive travel abroad preparedness strategy and chairs a standing committee on global risk management.
Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education). Four to six years of progressively more responsible management experience. Background knowledge of hiring department’s area of specialization in order to analyze, plan and draw conclusions for recommendations to superiors. Demonstrated leadership skills in planning and directing employees and processes in order to effectively monitor and develop subordinates and to ensure the smooth operation of department. Master’s degree in a related area may be preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
- Lead the development, management, promotion, and oversight of a comprehensive travel abroad preparedness strategy in the following areas: policy development, review and implementation; proactive assessment of risks associated with travel to particular geographical areas; health and safety program audits; crisis management; training and outreach; coordinating internal communications and shared resources/services; representing the University Of Utah Internationally and nationally in the areas of health, safety and security; developing effective partnerships with key education abroad program providers, faith-based organizations, non-governmental organizations, corporations, and government agencies in the areas of health, safety and security abroad.
- Provide leadership in developing and keeping current procedures that implement the University Of Utah International Travel Policy for all campuses.
- Supervises all aspects of emergency communication and 24/7 emergency response related to university-sponsored international travel.
- Provides guidance on matters dealing with the health, safety and security of the University’s interests abroad.
- Identifies and promotes best practices in the areas of health, safety and security of University faculty, staff and students engaged globally.
- Serve as a member of the leadership team in the Office for Global Engagement and as chair of a global risk management committee to be established.
- Serve as the university’s primary liaison to key education abroad program providers, faith-based organizations, NGOs, corporations and government agencies regarding safety and security of university faculty, staff and students abroad.
- Work with key stakeholders across the University of Utah.
- Conduct safety, security, and well-being program audits.
- Manage vendor relationships (develop, implement, monitor, and maintain vendor approval and review processes).
- Prepare actionable health, safety and security alerts, briefings and updates to various university constituents.
- Maintain and analyze data related to student and employee international travel at the University of Utah as well as data pertaining to international risk assessment in student and employee destination countries.
- Engage in continuous professional development to stay current on new technologies, innovation, information, etc. related to international risk management in higher education.
- Develop and maintain a University-wide incident reporting system.
- Other duties as assigned
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
- Master’s degree in international higher education, higher education administration, education, international relations, international studies, or related field
- Advanced training and/or experience in international risk management
- Extensive experience with international travel and/or living/working abroad
- US citizen or permanent resident
- Substantial and progressively responsible experience in at least two of the following: project management, global safety and security management, emergency preparedness and crisis management, international studies, risk analytics, law enforcement, criminal justice, higher education administration, or education abroad.
- Professional experience working in complex organizations or higher education
- Intercultural communication skills and ability to work with diverse communities and
with individuals from a wide range of cultures.
- Must be able to communicate clearly, effectively, and persuasively both verbally and
in writing to diverse audiences, including exceptional public speaking and
- Demonstrated experience building and fostering strong relationships with staff at
various organizational levels and with clients or the general public; Professional
discretion when working with high-level visitors and delegations.
- Demonstrated experience developing training materials and programs.
- Demonstrated ability to assess priorities.
- Demonstrated ability establishing effective collaborations and partnerships between
stakeholders with competing interests.
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational ability to balance conflicting interests;
prioritize assignments; and coordinate multiple projects and people simultaneously.
- Demonstrated record of sound judgment and decision-making abilities as reflected
in the ability to remain calm in crisis situations; handle matters confidentially; and
exercise discretion with sensitive/culturally sensitive topics.
- Demonstrated research and analytical skills as reflected in the ability to elicit
pertinent quantitative and qualitative data from various sources, identify key factors,
trends and issues of concern; analyze and summarize possible implications and
make recommendations for action.
- General knowledge of FERPA, civil rights laws, HIPAA, sponsored research, basic
travel insurance coverage provisions, and export control regulations.
- Attention to detail
- Proficiency in a language(s) in addition to English.
- A sense of humor, a passion for adventure, and an interest in global affairs.
To Apply for the Position:
To apply, please access the University of Utah application portal: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/124512 (PRN28057B) where you submit your CV/resume, a letter of application detailing how you meet the qualifications for the position, and the contact information for three professional references. For questions regarding the position, contact: Sovanna Behrmann at email@example.com (Please do not send the application documents to this email address, but apply via the University of Utah job application portal.)